Seven men were shot dead on Lebaum Street, South Andre Wright Patrol Service Deputy Chief told WUSA9.
Published Date – Sat 04/22/23 03:29pm

(representative image)
Washington: In another mass shooting in the United States, a gunman opened fire in the southeastern suburbs of Washington, D.C., on Friday night local time, The Sun reported. Initial reports said eight people, including a 12-year-old girl, had been shot.
The District of Columbia Police Department said a black sedan, possibly a Mercedes, drove through the block and opened fire on a group of people indiscriminately, WUSA reported.
The first call about the shooting came just after 10 p.m., according to Metropolitan Police Sergeant Hugh Carew.
Police initially said seven people were shot on a residential street in the Congress Heights neighbourhood. The number of victims was later increased to eight.
Seven men were shot dead on Lebaum Street, South Andre Wright Patrol Service Deputy Chief told WUSA9.
In the nearby 2900 block of 2nd Street, a 12-year-old girl was shot and killed. Her injuries are not life-threatening.
Police believe the two shootings are related.
Multiple bullet casings were found on the ground and police are investigating two crime scenes. A few blocks away, a 12-year-old girl was shot and killed, and police believe the two shootings are related.
Conditions of all victims were not immediately available, but at least one was seriously injured.
DC Fire and EMS took four people to the hospital, while other victims were taken to a trauma center, police said.
Assistant Commissioner Andre Wright provided an update on the shootings in the 500 block of Lebaum St SE and the 2900 block of 2nd St SE.
“To make the story easier for everyone. There will be two scenes involved here. One is the Lebanon Street Southeast 500 block. This will be the main scene and then the secondary scene. The 2000 block of Second Street Southeast. The information I’m going to give is very preliminary,” Wright said.
He further stated that the investigation is ongoing involving multiple victims and that detectives and patrol officers are out knocking on doors. There will be follow-ups as the information unfolds.
He said: “We found multiple adult males with gunshot wounds. Thankfully, none of them were life-threatening and when we arrived at the scene, most of them had transferred themselves. Quantities, there has been some confusion.
Also, while we were there, we got a call from O’Block, 29 Second Street. When we arrived at the scene, we found that there was also a twelve-year-old girl who had also suffered gunshot wounds to her lower extremities. Thank God she is also stable and not life threatening. “
