Close Menu
  • Telugu today
  • తాజా వార్తలు
  • వార్తలు
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Gamble Caribbean Hold’em Casino poker on the internet pokie
  • Better No deposit Local casino Bonuses 2024 » 100 percent free Bucks & Free Spins
  • The Increase of Student-Driven Encyclopedias: Changing Understanding Landscapes
  • Finest Cellular Casinos: Greatest Us Cellular Gambling enterprise Applications and Advertisements within the 2025
  • Best Mobile Web based poker Software the real deal Cash on apple’s ios & Android os within the 2025
  • Greatest ten Online gambling Programs for real Cash in 2025
  • Casino utan svensk licens 2025 – Topp 10 casino utan Spelpaus
  • Bet with Sahabet 💰 Bonus up to 10000 Rupees 💰 Play Online Casino Games
Telangana Press
  • Telugu today
  • తాజా వార్తలు
  • వార్తలు
Telangana Press
Telugu today

Fighting continues as emergency aid arrives in Sudan

TelanganapressBy TelanganapressMay 1, 2023No Comments

A plane carrying eight tons of emergency medical aid landed in Sudan on Sunday to resupply hospitals

Published Date – Monday, 01 May 23 at 07:00 AM

Fighting continues as emergency aid arrives in Sudan

Photo: AFP

Cairo: A plane carrying eight tons of emergency medical aid landed in Sudan on Sunday to resupply a hospital damaged by more than two weeks of fighting between forces loyal to rival generals.

The supplies are enough to treat hundreds of wounded as the civilian death toll from violence across the country exceeds 400.

On April 15, clashes broke out between the country’s army and its paramilitary forces, threatening to plunge Sudan into a bitter civil war.

A national association of doctors said more than two-thirds of hospitals in the hotly contested region have been out of service due to shortages of medical supplies, staff, water and electricity.

The ICRC said the plane carrying medical aid landed in the city of Port Sudan from Jordan on Sunday.

Supplies including anesthesia, dressings, sutures and other surgical materials are sufficient to treat more than 1,000 people injured in the conflict, the ICRC said.

Patrick Yusuf, the ICRC’s regional director for Africa, said “the hope is that these materials will be delivered to some of the busiest hospitals in the capital Khartoum and other hotspots”.

The United Sudanese Doctors Organization, which monitors casualties, said on Sunday that 425 civilians had been killed and 2,091 wounded in the past two weeks.

The total death toll, including fighters, was 528, with 4,500 wounded, Sudan’s health ministry said on Saturday.

Some of the deadliest fighting raged in Khartoum. Army Chief of Staff General Abdul Fattah al-Burhan engaged General Mohammad Hamdan Dagalo, head of a paramilitary group known as the Rapid Support Forces.

Both generals have powerful foreign backers who were allies in the October 2021 military coup that prevented Sudan’s intermittent transition to democracy, but have since turned on each other.

Ordinary Sudanese have been drawn into the crossfire. Tens of thousands have fled to neighboring countries, including Chad and Egypt, while others have been stranded by dwindling supplies.

Thousands of foreigners have been evacuated by air and land convoy.

Fighting continued in different parts of the capital on Sunday, with residents sheltering in their homes reporting hearing artillery fire.

Fighting has stalled despite repeated attempts by international mediators, but the ceasefire has never been fully respected.

Over the weekend, residents reported that shops were reopening in some parts of Khartoum and normalcy was gradually returning as the fighting scaled back after another uneasy truce.

But in other areas, terrified residents reported thunderous explosions around them as militants ransacked homes.

Yusuf, an ICRC official, said the agency has been in touch with the high command of both sides to ensure that medical aid reaches the hospital safely.

“With this news today, we really hope this becomes part of a stable coordination mechanism to allow other flights to come in,” he said.

More medical aid is ready to be airlifted to Khartoum pending the necessary clearances and security guarantees, Youssef said.

Sudan’s healthcare system has nearly collapsed, with dozens of hospitals out of service. Several aid agencies had to suspend operations and evacuate staff.

A U.S. warship also arrived in Port Sudan on Sunday to evacuate more U.S. citizens, according to footage from the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya television channel.

Most of the estimated 16,000 Americans currently in Sudan are believed to be dual US-Sudanese.

The Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Saturday that it was moving naval assets to the Sudanese coast to support further evacuations.

Source link

Telanganapress
  • Website

Related Posts

KCR’s speech gets roaring response from people-Telangana Today

April 16, 2024

More of the same-Telangana Today

April 16, 2024

Property tax cheques bounce, GHMC takes action-Telangana Today

April 16, 2024
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Categories
  • 1
  • AI News
  • News
  • Telugu today
  • Uncategorized
  • తాజా వార్తలు
  • వార్తలు
కాపీరైట్ © 2024 Telanganapress.com సర్వ హక్కులు ప్రత్యేకించబడినవి.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About us
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.