The three men who killed former MP Atiq Ahmed and his brother Ashraf in police custody were members of a terrorist group, Asaduddin Owaisi said on Friday
Published Date – Sat 04/22/23 08:40 AM

file photo
Hyderabad: The three men who killed former MP Atiq Ahmed and his brother Ashraf in police custody were members of a terrorist group, AIMIM chairman Asaduddin Owaisi said on Friday.
He called the attacker a terrorist, the “illegitimate son” of Nathuram Godse, the assassin of Mahatma Gandhi.
The Hyderabad MP expressed concern that more such men may be given arms and training and they may commit more killings.
Speaking at a public meeting at the historic Mecca mosque on the occasion of Ramzan’s last Friday, Jummat-ul-Vida, he noted that none of the UP police present had drawn their weapons and that the attackers raised their hands after completing their mission. Raised their arms arms surrendered.
Citing media reports citing senior police officials, the attackers may have been training for a month and they may have fired 500 rounds before killing the former congressman and his brother.
Noting that each revolver used by the attackers was worth Rs 800,000, Owaisi wondered how the youths obtained the weapons, as media reports suggested they were from poor families.
The MP claimed the attackers were given weapons and training to fulfill Godse’s dream.
Owaisi compared the attack on him last year to the killing of Atiq Ahmed. In both cases, the attackers held up religious slogans and later told police they wanted to make themselves known through the attacks, he said.
“They will kill more people. They may try to attack me again. I am not afraid. As long as Allah wills, I will live,” he said.
MPs want to know from the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh why the UAPA was not invoked against the attackers who killed Atiq Ahmed.
He also asked Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to release letters Atiq Ahmed wrote to him before he was killed.
Referring to the acquittal of all 68 accused in the Naroda Gam massacre of 11 Muslims during the Gujarat riots in 2002, Owaisi asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi whether he would acquit Appeal.
He expressed concern about the denial of justice and the acquittal of defendants in all cases against Muslims.
He recalled that Aseemanand and five others were acquitted in the Mecca mosque bombing, while those involved in the Ajmer dargah bombing also went unpunished.
The defendants were freed 36 years after the massacre of 70 Muslims in Maliana, Uttar Pradesh, Owaisi said.
