NATO countries have delivered more than 98% of the combat vehicles promised to Ukraine in the war with Russia
Posted on – Thu, 4/27/23 at 11:59pm

Kyiv: NATO countries have delivered more than 98 percent of the combat vehicles promised to Ukraine in the war with Russia, the head of the military alliance said on Thursday, dealing an even bigger blow to Kiev as it appeared to be preparing to launch a counteroffensive.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that, in addition to more than 1,550 armored vehicles, 230 tanks and other equipment, the member states had sent “substantial amounts of ammunition” to Ukraine and trained and equipped more than nine new Ukrainian brigade.
More than 30,000 soldiers are estimated to form the new brigade.
“This will put Ukraine in a good position to continue retaking the occupied territories,” Stoltenberg told reporters in Brussels.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he had a “long and meaningful” phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping since Russia’s all-out invasion more than a year ago knowledgeable contact.
While Zelensky said he was encouraged by Wednesday’s call, and Western officials welcomed Xi’s move, the developments did not appear to bring about any immediate shift in prospects for peace.
Russia and Ukraine are far apart on terms of peace, and Beijing has refused to criticize Moscow’s incursions as it seeks to position itself as a global diplomatic power.
The Chinese government views Russia as a diplomatic ally against U.S. influence in global affairs, and Xi Jinping visited Moscow last month.
Stoltenberg said NATO’s 31 allies were committed to supporting Ukraine’s military, adding that reclaiming land held by Kremlin forces would put Kiev in a stronger position in the talks should peace talks take place.
The Kremlin reacted coolly to the call between Xi and Zelensky.
Asked whether the call would help end the fighting, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters: “We are ready to welcome anything that could lead to an end to the conflict in Ukraine and achieve all the goals set by Russia. Peskov said the talks between the Chinese and Ukrainian leaders were “a matter of sovereignty and bilateral dialogue between the two countries.”
As the war of attrition has unfolded in recent months, Ukrainian battlefield positions have remained largely unchanged, with Russian forces continuing to bombard Ukrainian regions, often striking apartment buildings and other civilian infrastructure.
At least seven civilians were killed and 33 wounded between Wednesday and Thursday, the Ukrainian president’s office said.
Four Caliber cruise missiles struck the southern city of Nikolayev, killing one person and wounding 23, including a child, officials said.
Vitalii Kim, governor of Nikolayev province, said 22 multi-storey buildings, 12 private homes and other residential buildings were damaged in the attack.
According to Ukraine’s Southern Combat Command, the Caliber missile was launched from a ship or submarine, and the missile that hit Nikolayev was launched from somewhere in the Black Sea.
