BURNABY — A coroner’s inquest into the 2023 deaths of a Prince Rupert family began Monday, Feb. 2, 2026, at Burnaby Coroner’s Court, with early testimony painting a sobering picture of fear and uncertainty in the days before the family was found dead.
The inquest is examining the deaths of Christopher Duong, 38; Janet Nguyen, 35; and their two young children, Alexander, 4, and Harlan, 2, who were discovered inside their Silverside Drive home in June 2023.
A coroner’s inquest is a fact-finding proceeding that does not assign criminal or civil blame. Its purpose is to establish the circumstances surrounding the deaths and, where appropriate, make recommendations aimed at preventing similar tragedies in the future. The inquiry was originally expected to proceed in late 2025 but was delayed due to provincial labour disruptions.
Testimony Describes Fear in the Days Before the Deaths
On the first day of testimony, RCMP Constable Jason Kettle described an encounter with the family on June 10, 2023— three days before the deaths were discovered — after police responded to a report of a white Mercedes believed to have been abandoned while blocking an intersection.
Kettle testified that inside the vehicle he found a large amount of cash, multiple suitcases, and a bear banger, a device commonly used as a wildlife deterrent but sometimes carried for self-defence.
According to Kettle’s testimony, Nguyen appeared visibly frightened and told the officer that the family believed they were being followed by multiple vehicles while travelling around Prince Rupert.
Kettle also told the court that Duong later stated he believed a “hit” had been placed on him.
Background Raised in Court
The inquest also heard testimony relating to Duong’s background, including references to information held by police and previous legal proceedings.
Kettle testified that other officers believed Duong was involved in the local drug trade in Prince Rupert. The court also heard reference to a 2015 civil forfeiture claim that identified Duong as being associated with a violent gang and alleged a history involving weapons offences.
The inquest has not been convened to determine criminal responsibility, but to establish the circumstances surrounding the deaths and identify any potential systemic issues or gaps that may inform future prevention efforts.
Inquest Summary: Duong-Nguyen Family
| Name | Age | Residence | Date Found |
|---|---|---|---|
| Christopher Duong | 38 | Silverside Drive, Prince Rupert | June 13, 2023 |
| Janet Nguyen | 35 | Silverside Drive, Prince Rupert | June 13, 2023 |
| Alexander Duong | 4 | Silverside Drive, Prince Rupert | June 13, 2023 |
| Harlan Duong | 2 | Silverside Drive, Prince Rupert | June 13, 2023 |
Proceedings Continue Through Feb. 20
The inquest is scheduled to continue through Feb. 20, 2026, with the jury expected to hear from more than a dozen witnesses, including medical professionals and additional RCMP officers.
For many in Prince Rupert and across the North Coast, the proceedings mark a significant and closely watched step in understanding what happened in the final days of the Duong-Nguyen family’s lives — and whether recommendations emerging from the inquest could help prevent similar tragedies in the future.
